There are a lot of different jobs that a truck driver can do, one of which is driving a Ready Mix truck. We see these trucks on the roads everyday, and you probably know them as concrete trucks. As a career choice, Ready Mix truck drivers have an interesting life, certainly more varied than just driving from point-to-point like a long distance truck driver.
Over the last week or two there has been a mini flood of Ready Mix truck driving jobs on our jobs data base. There is obviously an increase in demand for concrete, which is normal for this time of the year. The heat is starting to go out of the weather so concrete is now easier to work with and cure. Interesting aspects of this job include:
- Starting early and finishing early – concrete pours are completed fairly early each day so that workers can finish the concreting job before nightfall.
- Local employment – Ready Mix drivers are generally employed locally. You don’t just finish work early in the afternoon, you often home before the kids get off school
- It’s not just driving – Ready Mix drivers are required to maneuver their vehicle into the right place for the pour. They will then set up the chute for the pour, and control the pouring action of their truck. They maybe required to constantly move their truck into various locations on the site to complete the pour.
- Customer relations – for many jobs, Ready Mix drivers deliver concrete to domestic user. The drivers job includes interacting with the customer, ensuring they receive the ordered volume of concrete, and ensuring the customer signs the correct paper work to acknowledge receipt of their concrete.
- Driving to a timetable – customers order concrete for delivery at specific times. This is to ensure the concrete pour is coordinated with those working to complete the concrete job. Drivers need to be able to deliver their loads on time.
If you’re interested in working as a Ready Mix driver, you will need to obtain a commercial driver license, and that requires truck driver training. We can help you with your truck driver training, and we may be able to put you in touch with those employers looking to take on Ready Mix drivers. If you’re interested in a job as a Ready Mix driver, then check out what truck driving jobs are currently available.